With all the news about war between Israel and Iran, I decided to make love, not war, with this dish.
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. butter (can be omitted)
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
3 – 4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup Israeli (pearl) couscous
2 cups organic chicken broth (or vegetable broth, if preferred)
Costco organic no salt seasoning
1 tbsp. dried parsley
1 teas. salt
1/4 teas. black pepper
1/4 teas red pepper flakes (optional)
saffron water (crush 1/4 teas. saffron strands, then add 1/4 cup boiling water)
2 tbsp pine nuts
2 tbsp capers, rinsed
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium flame. Add the onion and saute for a few minutes, until soft and translucent.
2. Add the butter, and then garlic; saute for a couple minutes.
3. Add the couscous, and stir well to coat. Saute for about a minute, and then add the chicken broth.
4. Add in the spices and the saffron water. Cover and simmer for 8 – 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Taste for salt; garnish with pine nuts and capers, and serve.