(picture from “Sailu’s Kitchen)
One of my hubby’s comfort foods is daal and rice.
I am going to make some for him tonight, and thought I would share the recipe.
1/2 cup masoor daal (salmon color daal)
1/2 cup moong daal (yello, small daal)
4 cups water
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/4 tsp. red chili powder
1 tsp. “special daal masala” (My mom made this masala for me – I will find out exactly what she put in !!)
1 tsp. coriander powder
1 tsp. salt
3 garlic cloves, sliced
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1. Check the daal for any stones, etc; wash and drain.
2. Put all the ingredients in a medium pot, cover and bring to a boil.
3. Turn heat to low, and continue to cook covered, for about 15 – 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, make the Tarka (seasoning for daal). In a small pot, heat the oil. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant and slightly brown (do not burn). Pour the tarka over the daal.
5. Garnish the daal with fresh coriander leaves, and serve with white rice.