8 tablespoons olive oil
3 medium onions, peeled and chopped finely
2 tsp garlic- ginger-jalapeno paste
2 lbs. chicken breast, cut into 2 inch pieces, washed and drained
6 oz. tomato sauce (pureed, chopped or fresh tomatoes can also be used)
1 ½ tsp coriander powder
¼ teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon cumin powder
¼ teaspoons red chili powder
¼ teaspoons garam masala
½ teas. salt (more to taste)
¼ teas. ground black pepper
½ inch piece of cinnamon stick
Garnish – small bunch of fresh coriander leaves, washed and chopped
1. On medium setting, heat the oil in a large pot. When hot, add the onions. Stir and saute onions until they are a rich reddish-brown color … * important – you want to caramelize them without burning them (takes about 12 -15 minutes to get the right color).
2. Add the ginger- garlic- jalapeno paste. Saute for about a minute until absorbed.
3. Turn up the heat to high, and add the chicken. Saute for a couple minutes on one side, then turn over and cook other side for about a minute.
4. Reduce heat back to medium, and then add all the spices, stirring for a minute to blend in. Add tomato sauce and stir until blended thoroughly.
5. Add ¼ cup of water to make a sauce. Cover and cook on low until chicken is cooked through. Stir occasionally to make sure chicken is not sticking to bottom. Add more water if necessary.
6. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Variations to this recipe:
When the chicken is about halfway done in Step 5, you can mix in any of the following for a change to the basic recipe:
Cooked, chopped spinach
Cooked, chopped asparagus
2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
½ stick of butter and 2 tablespoons tomato paste
Diced, chopped fresh tomatos
Red and green bell pepper slices
5 tablespoons heavy cream
3-4 tablespoons yogurt, one tablespoon at a time so mixture absorbs