1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Wash the yams, halve them lengthwise, and then cut each half into 3 long wedges. Place in a large bowl, and mix well to coat with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, salt, black pepper, and paprika.
2. Spread the wedges out, skin side down, on a baking sheet and cook for about 20 minutes, until they are soft but not mushy. Remove from the oven and leave to cool, then arrange on serving plate.
3. While the yams are baking, mix the balsamic glaze with the fig jam in a small bowl. Meanwhile soak the dried figs in a bowl of boiling water for a few minutes to soften. Chop up the figs ( I removed the hard center part)
4. Heat the remaining oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat and add the green onions and chili. Fry for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring often to make sure not to burn the chili. Spoon the oil, onions and chili over the sweet potatoes.
5. Dot the figs among the wedges, and then spoon the balsamic-fig mixture over the wedges.